Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Chucktesta and Scumbags

Am I really that lame because the 4th of July is my favorite holiday?  It must be an Orchard Park thing, because I'm pretty sure most of my high school friends and parents and teachers would say the same thing.  We just know how to do it, I guess.  It's a bummer not being able to spend it in the states with my friends and family.  I'm missing some serious fun.  Float decorating (yes, still), riding in the cab of dad's truck into town with music blaring out of the speakers we've hooked up to the outside of the windows (we think we're so cool), hot dogs, parade, hot dogs, seeing people you haven't seen in ages, hot dogs, fireworks, hot dogs.  What the heck is there not to love about that?

Anyway, back to reality.  Mario, 22, and Francisco, 18, Piedad's sons, came over for dinner last night.  I'll admit I get a little uncomfortable when they come over; they intimidate the heck out of me with how fast they talk.  I feel like such a dumb Americana when I have to ask them to repeat themselves.  Exhibit A: at one point during dinner, Mario asked me a question.  I really only heard the words "study" and "classes," so I assumed he was asking me about how I'm doing with school here.  I went into this whole big thing about really sucking at history in English, let alone Spanish, and that I have this big test tomorrow, blah blah blah, and he sat there listening politely.  When I was finished, he asked the exact same question he had asked before because, well, I didn't answer "Do you study the spanish language in the United States?"  Oh man.  I was so embarrassed that I told myself I would not open my mouth one more time during dinner and I would go straight back to studying in my little closet room when I was done.  But then, Mario and Francisco began gabbing away at each other again and I heard Mario mumble under his breath "Chucktesta."  The pact I had made with myself about not talking disappeared instantly and I perked up.  "Did you just say 'Chucktesta?'" I asked.  "Yes," said Mario. "Do you know what that is?"  Do I know what that is?  This is Chucktesta we're talking about here.  This is the video we show constantly to our YoungLife kids.  It's so ridiculous that you never think it could be for real, but it is.  "Yes I know!" I said.  Piedad just looked really confused.  "What is Chucktesta?" she asked.  We got up from the table and I got my laptop and we sat Piedad down to watch one of the greatest things on YouTube.  There's not a spanish version, just the original with spanish subtitles, but MARIO KNEW EVERY SINGLE WORD.  He quoted the whole thing!  I was trying so hard to make it seem like I was laughing at the video and not at him just bossin' it with the English language.  Afterwards (and might I add that while we were all dying on the couch from laughter, Piedad was looking at us like the youth doesn't know what real humor is anymore), I showed them Rhett and Link's Dope Zebra video, because Chucktesta pops up at the end.  They thought it was hilarious.  They showed me the Chucktesta songify remix.  Another classic.

It was so cool being able to relate and bond with the boys through stupid things on the internet.  And I mean really, how cool is that?  That with about 6,000 miles between us, we can laugh over the same stuff, no language barrier interfering.  It's pretty great.  Since I know you're dying to know what these hilarious videos are (if you have yet to see them) I've graciously supplied you with the YouTube links so you can go laugh your socks off like we did last night.

Chucktesta
Chucktesta Songify
Dope Zebra

This morning, on my way to school, I decided to take a different route that ended up cutting down my casco commute by 7 minutes!  I would be more excited about this if I wasn't hit on three times on the way there.  I've gone this entire trip without any of that, and this morning, boom boom boom.  Record broken.  The first old guy just did a little creepy click of his tongue and said something that I didn't even understand, so I just rolled my eyes and kept walking.  The second guy was much more forward.  "¡Qué bonita!" he shouted at me from the other side of the street (which, I should mention, was probably about 6 feet away from me; the streets really aren't all that wide in the casco).  I just kept my head forward and kept walking, but he turned around and started following me!  I'll admit, my heart started beating harder against my chest, but I wasn't too worried; it was almost 9am, there were few people in the streets but still enough to be comfortable, and, hey, I was a freaking girl scout, bitch.  I know not only the correct definition of self defense, but how show a brother up as well.  This guy kept following me, not right behind me; he left a few feet of space in between us (maybe he sensed the girl scout vibe) and kept talking to me, only I could only really pick up the words that were derogatory.  I finally turned around and told him to leave me alone (this was a phrase we were taught in orientation before we left, thanks, Señor Sisson), and that seemed to do the trick.  He probably didn't think I even spoke any spanish at all.  He said a few last remarks before finally heading back the way he had come.  The third ratty guy didn't get to say much, because I was so pissed for having to deal with scumbags #1 and #2 that when he went to say what was on his mind, I just cut him off my shouting "NO!" in his face and power walking away.  I felt like such a bad ass.  So now it's come to if I'd rather have a quiet walk to school in the morning or if I'd like to get there quicker.  Tough one.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July!  Eat a hot dog for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment