Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fiehalxoeiafjz

The title of this post is what my brain feels like right now.

Today we came to Toledo, where we'll be studying for the next 5 weeks.  We met our host families (moms, mostly) where they took us to their homes.  Everyone greets you with a kiss on each cheek; it was fun watching the super awkward boys man up and do that.  Piedad, my host mom, is a serious boss.  She talks SUPER fast, so I've had to ask her many times to repeat herself.  Thankfully, she has a ton of patience and even told me she doesn't mind saying things slower or saying them a million times.  After she brought me home, she immediately made me something to eat.  I had albóndigas, which are basically meatballs in sauce, watermelon, salad, and bread.  I couldn't finish all of it!  She let me take a 2 hour siesta before taking me around to see where I would be going to school and the Plaza de Zocodover, which is basically the heart of Toledo.  Piedad lives outside the Casco, where school and Zocodover are, but everything is pretty much in walking distance.  There are hills too!  It feels a lot like Athens.  Except the roads are made of bricks AND stones.  It looks like someone just threw a bunch of random rocks in the roads while the cement was hardening.  Girls look even stupider wearing heels here.
  
I met up with the OU group in the Plaza and our mommies left us.  We walked around with the director of our program; he took us to an outdoor bar/cafe where we had free sangrías!  I wish I could've had enough for it to be worth it.  The drinks were in huge beer pitchers, and I think I had about a quarter of it before feeling like I was going to fall over.  All my peers kept saying "You can't even taste the alcohol!"  Well, that's all I could taste.  What a newb. We walked around a lot, trying to memorize street signs and points of interest.  One street is literally called La Calle de Toledo de Ohio.  Bahaha.  So they know of us.







I was the last person to be brought home since I live the farthest away.  My director took the bus with me!  Good thing I google stalked the crap out of where Piedad lives; it was super easy finding her apartment building.  When I came in, it was about 9.  We talked for a while, and I could already understand her spanish a little better, but my brain was killing me.  I took a quick shower and when I was done she gave me the password for the wifi in the apartment.  Phew.  As I was fanoodling with that, she was fanoodling in the kitchen, and suddenly comes out with a tray with a huge ham sandwich, banana, yogurt, and water.  IT WAS 10:30PM.  She didn't ask me if I was hungry until after I was half way through.  Oh my gosh.  The rumors are true, they are all about feeding you here until you can't take it anymore.  I put the banana in the fridge and told her I'd take it for breakfast tomorrow.  I started to wash the spoon I had eaten the yogurt with and she yelled at me.  "I do that," she said.  "Put it down."  Oh boy.  She asked how my vocabulary was and I told her not very good and that since we focus on grammar so much in school, I forget a lot of easy words often.  So she brought me around the kitchen pointing to things and quizzing me.  It was fun to surprise her with words I did know.  

Before she went to bed she gave me a mom lecture about being careful while walking around, and while most of the time it's safe, there are still lots of pick pocketers who will not hesitate to take your things.  She cares a lot about her little adopted hija.

I seriously hope my brain doesn't feel like this at the end of every day, but I have a feeling it might.

2 comments:

  1. hola querida!

    que dia cansadoso! pero bien divertido, me imagino :) estoy super orgullosa de ti y me alegro mucho de que estas experimentando nuevas cosas y aprendiendo ni solo la lengua pero otro estilo de vivir. queria aconsejarte de algo... cuando tomas en restaurantes, si solo quieres tomar agua y no quieres pagar un monton, puedes pedir agua del grifo para no tener que comprar una botella. Y si quieres agua frio, puedes pedir agua del grifo con hielo.

    bueno, este domingo, voy a la casa de tus padres para visitar con familia y celebrar el cumpleanos de tu hermanita. Pues espero que podemos comunicar entonces! si no, tengo un iphone con skype pues podriamos hablar otro dia o podemos hablar por facetime tambien.

    te dejo aqui con la esperanza que hayas aprendiendo un monton de nuevas palabras en los dias desde que hablamos anteriormente y que te duela la cabeza un poquito de tanta aprendizaje! (broma! que no te duela la cabeza, jajaja!)

    ah, una pregunta, todavia usan la phrase palabra "que guay" para decir "Cool!"? y la phrases "que mono" para decir "That's cute"?

    un besito,

    JuJu

    ReplyDelete
  2. JuJu, decimos todo el tiempo, QUE GUAY QUE GUAY. Jajaja lo amamos. Pero no "que mono" todavía. Vamos a eskype este domingo! Te amo!

    ReplyDelete